MRI (Magnetic resonance imaging) is an imaging technique widely used to detect various diseases and injuries. An MRI Scan produces high-resolution cross-sectional images of bones and soft tissues using a magnetic field and radio waves. An MRI differs from X-Rays and a CT Scan, as it does not use radiation during the imaging process.
As discussed, an MRI scan assists in examining almost all the parts of the body like the brain, spinal cord, bones, joints, breast, heart, blood vessels, liver, prostate gland, etc. An MRI Scan service can produce detailed images detecting tiny minor changes of structures in the body. MRI is a highly accurate imaging method and assists the doctor in identifying the cause of your symptoms or health problems.
Uses of MRI
An MRI is used to evaluate the brain, neck, heart, spine, and several other problems. Below I have listed out what an MRI can diagnose.
- A Brain MRI can diagnose abnormalities in the brain and analyze or predict the risk of stroke, dementia, brain tumors, and other chronic nervous system disorders. Brain anatomy is commonly used among patients suffering from headaches, blurred vision, seizures, weakness, etc.
- The doctors mainly suggest Abdomen MRI evaluate further abnormalities found in other imaging tests like Ultrasound Scan or CT Scan. Abdominal MRI clearly shows lymph nodes, blood vessels and also examines blood flow. It further helps to investigate the cause of swelling and pain.
- Bone and Joint MRI helps evaluate bone infections, torn cartilage or ligaments, and tumors of bones and soft tissues.
- A Spine MRI is used to diagnose conditions like herniated disc, spinal stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal), and other diseases affecting the spinal cord.
- Breast MRI helps to detect breast cancers and provides information on the progression and location of the tumor.
- Cardiac MRI analyses the functioning of the heart, valves, blood vessels, congenital heart defects, and cardiac tumors. This also assesses the thickness and movement of the heart walls and heart chambers. Cardiac MRI further helps to estimate the extent of damage caused due to heart attacks or heart diseases.
- Pelvic MRI in women helps to detect abnormalities in the ovaries and uterus. Pelvic MRI in men helps to evaluate prostate problems or prostate cancer.
Before going for the MRI, women should discuss with their doctors if they are pregnant or breastfeeding. People should also remove metal objects they are wearing before the scan, like belts, nose or ear pins, and others. One cannot have an MRI if they have metal implants inside their body like artificial joints, artificial heart valves, etc. An MRI is a painless procedure, and one can resume their usual activities soon after the scan. An MRI scan can take anywhere around 15 minutes to 1 hour, based on the type of the MRI. One needs to stay still during the procedure, as movements can blur the images.
IN BORE MRI Scan at Aruna Diagnostics
Aruna Diagnostics, for the first time in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana, introduced IN BORE MRI. We at Adx aim to offer world-class diagnostic services to our patients using the latest technology advancements. Visit your nearest Aruna Scan and Diagnostics branch and enjoy accurate and timely reports with our new IN BORE MRI.